2012年4月14日土曜日

Looking back 振り返ってみた。 (Part 2: High School 高校生時代)

Over the past few days, I've been looking over my LiveJournal in the tranquility of my room in Hawaii and reliving those good and bad memories. Thinking about things I did, and things I didn't do. What I was wrong about and what I was right about, and how I can use this information in this new chapter of my life as a mother.
I haven't collected my thoughts enough to really write them down here yet, so for now I am just remembering and reflecting.

So far I have read from 2001-2003. I My high school years. High school was one of the most important periods of my life, and most of my journal revolved around my friends, extracurricular activities and clubs, and classes. By re-reading my journal, I relived my real-life drama through almost-daily journal entries filled with a youthful passion and emotion, from being excited over the latest anime, to elated after a fun outing with friends, to raging over something that was unfair.

I made those entries on my Windows 95 PC with an 8GB harddrive and large, unwieldy monitor. It became my constant helper and companion as my generation entered the Information Age. The computer became more than just an electronic typewriter and game machine, it replaced photo developers, newspapers, stereos, DVD players, postcards, and even telephones as the Internet became accessible to more and more people. It took our parents' generation a little more time to get used to the idea, and get over their "kids these days" mentality as they wondered what could be so interesting about "staring at a screen all day"(as was frequently uttered about myself.)

I wrote a lot about my hobbies and extra-curricular activities. I was very active in theater and music programs at my school. Even though my parents frequently criticized me and hindered my efforts, saying I have no talent, going to rehearsal on a weekend is ridiculous and a waste of time, and that when I finish high school my interest in theater will also be "over,"I never got discouraged and always enjoyed my time on or near the stage. Being in the Thespian society and going to conferences in Pennsylvania and Nebraska (on the bus!) as well as auditioning, rehearsing and performing in The Music Man, Camelot, various short plays and production numbers, and then Godspell during summer were some of the best experiences in my life. The Bucks County Playhouse became a second home to me as I was there whenever I could be to volunteer and see the show.

Music was (and is, and will always be) my passion. in 2001-2003, most of my peers were listening to pop music by the likes of Jennifer Lopez, Destiny's Child, Pink, and the Latin fad was in full force. My parents listened to and played jazz constantly. But despite pressure to conform and limit myself to what other people considered "good music", I developed interests in a very wide range of unique music. The mp3s on my hard drive were organized into folders; A cappella groups, Anime soundtracks, Broadway showtunes, Classical, Evanescence, German music (this ranged from polka to techno to metal), Hello! Project, Queen, Spice Girls, X-Japan, and more.
I've always had an ear for music and enjoyed playing the piano and singing. In chorus, I went from soprano to alto because the harmonies were more challenging and interesting.

And then there was my obsession-Japanese culture. I watched anime and clips from Japanese TV shows and music videos for hours on end, sometimes alone, and sometimes with my best friends by my side. I started to study Japanese on my own using books from the library and resources from the Internet. I also enjoyed drawing anime-style pictures and filled sketchbooks with both intricately shaded pencil drawings and fun original comics, and as I learned, I wrote words and phrases in hiragana and katakana in my books as well. Of course, since the only languages acceptable to learn in my community were Spanish, French and German (the languages offered in my high school) learning Japanese made me something of a target for ridicule in my own home, and at school (at school I could study with friends, though.)

I wrote about my classes in school, how I hated Algebra and Geometry, how Keyboarding class was so hard (but paid off!) how Mr. Halpern's Intro to Physics was the easiest BS class ever. (Mr. Halpern apologized to me at one point for not challenging me, because in his words, if he did, he would "lose them.") I wrote about German class, Art class, Theatre class, English class, Intro to Psychology, all of the classes I loved and thrived in. But mostly I wrote about how easy most of the work was and wondered why there were so many people around me that seemingly couldn't understand the simple lessons being taught.

I wrote about all the other activities going on at my school that I participated in. School carnivals, volunteer activities, class projects, the Prom, and finally graduation. I wrote about the SATs, college trips, applications, and finally acceptance to University of Hawaii. I became increasingly anxious, eager to get out but nervous for the future.

There was one more thing I wrote about, that cannot go forgotten.
September 11, 2001. We were in class and they announced that planes had hit the World Trade Center towers. We don't usually have the breaking news announced over the intercom, so everyone was shocked. We spent half the day watching the news before going home. In the following weeks my entries would occasionally take a somber note as I wrote about how I lit a candle and prayed (within my own religious beliefs of course) and then turn into anger as I expressed my disbelief with the actions the Bush administration was taking. Months later, on the day we started the war for "freedom" in Iraq I wrote about feeling physically sick and holding back tears in school. The "terror alert" color coded system seemed pointless to me at the time....and turned out to be pointless in the long run.

So those were my high school years. Lots of drama, fun, and some politics. Stay tuned for the next chapter - college!


何日か前からこのハワイの部屋で静かに自分の日記を読んでみました。いい思い出と嫌な思い出を両方振り返って、自分のしたことや、しなかったことなどを考えてました。自分が正しかったことや、間違ってたことなどと、この情報はお母さんになった時にどう活用すればよい、とか。その全体のことについてはまだ自分の中で整理してないので、とりあえず振り返って思い出してみてます。

今のところは2001年から2003年の日記までよみました。高校生時代でした。高校生時代って、自分の人生の中ですっごく大事な時期でした。日記の大体は友達や、部活や、趣味などを話題にしていました。そしてその情熱的な論文みたいな日記をもう一度読むことで、ドラマをもう一度味わうことができました。新しいアニメにワクワクしたり、友達と出かけて幸せだったり、不公平なことで怒りがとまらなかったりして、感情いっぱいの日記でした。

その日記はWindows95で8GBのハードドライブとその時の後ろにでっかいディスプレーで書きました。そのパソコンは周りの時代が進むに連れて、自分の仲間の一つになってました。前は文字入力やゲームをするしかあまり役に立たない機械がインターネットを通じて写真屋さん、ラジオ、テレビ、新聞、メール、と電話の代わりになろうとしていました。しかし両親の時代はまだ現代の技術を理解するのが遅く、「今どきの子供はもう。。。」「スクリーンをじーと見て何が楽しいんだろう?」と呟かれることが多かったです。

自分の部活や趣味のことよく書いてました。演劇部や音楽のさまざまなパフォーマンスにはまってました。両親からは才能がないや、週末などの稽古なんて時間の無駄や、高校卒業したら演劇にもう興味ないだろう、などと、厳しい批判や邪魔をすることもありましたが、それでもずっと負けないで頑張って、舞台のところで幸せな時間をすごしてました。演劇部にいて、ペンシルバニアやネブラスカのコンクールに行ったり、オーディション、受けて、けいこして、そして舞台の上に立ったりするのが本当に自分にとって大事な時間でした。隣の町の演劇所にいつもボランティアしたり、劇を見たりしてたので、がまるでもう一つの家みたいになりました。

音楽は私にとって、すごく大事です(この時代からでも、今でも、ずっと・・・)2001年から2003年といえば、Jennifer Lopez,Destiny’s Child,など、あとラティン風の音楽が人気だった気がするんです。自分の両親が毎日ジャズばっかり聞いたり、弾いたり、歌ったりしてました。でも周りの人にその自分の思ってる「いい音楽」に興味を持てとプレッシャーかけられても、自分がずっと全く違う、でも広い範囲の種類の音楽を聴いてました。パソコンの中の様々なmp3ファイルがフォルダーに分かれてました。アカペラ音楽、アニメ、ブロードウェー、クラシック、エバネセンス、ドイツの音楽、ハロプロ、クイーン、スパイス・ガールズ、X、などなど。前から音感も少しあって、耳コピーでピアノも弾くのが好きで、合唱部でも耳のトレーニングにソプラノからアルトに移動しました。

そして一番はまってたものは日本の文化でした。一人でも、友達と一緒にでも、パソコンで何時間でもアニメや日本のテレビ番組を見ることが多かったです。図書館から借りた本やインターネットの情報を使って日本語のひらがなとカタカナを覚え始めました。絵描きも好きで、ノートなどにアニメ風にいろいろ描いて、覚えていくうちにひらがなやカタカナで言葉やフレーズも書くようになりました。しかし、自分の住んでる町には回りの人が覚えたらいいという言葉はスペイン語、フランス語、ドイツ語、などしかない見たいな考え方してたので、日本語を覚えることがとても変わってて、家の中でもいじめられて、他に日本語に興味を持つ友達も一緒に学校でいじめられました。

学校の中の授業のことも少し書いてました。数学が苦手で嫌いこととか、パソコンのキーボードクラスでの辛抱(とその結果!)と、ハルパーン先生の科学授業が簡単すぎて時間の無駄など。(その時は先生が私にもっとチャレンジさせたいけど、他の生徒がついていけないということを伝えたのもあった)そして、ドイツ語、美術、演劇、英語、心理学入門、などなどの大好きな授業もいっぱいありました。でもよく日記に書いてたことは、どうして周りの人たちはこんな簡単なこともわからないんだろうということでした。

自分の趣味や部活や授業の他にいろいろやっていた高校の行事なども書いてました。祭り、ボランティア、プロジェクト、ダンス、とやっと、卒業。あと大学に向けての受験、キャンパス訪問、応募、と最後に、ハワイ大学受かったこと。それから大学に旅立つまでの期間はテンションがどんどん上がりました。早く行きたいけど、将来はやっぱり不安もいっぱいという気持ちばかりでした。

そして忘れられないことも一つありました。
2001年9月11日でした。授業中で学校の放送にワールドトレードセンターのビルに飛行機が突っ込んだというアナウンスが流れました。いきなりニュースになってることが放送に流れるというのはなかったので、皆衝撃を受けてました。その一日の半分位は皆で学校のテレビでニュースを見て、家に帰りました。そしてその数週間後日記もたまに真剣な話になってました。今日はろうそくに火をつけて祈りました(自分の信じてる宗教で)とか、ブッシュ大統領のやってることが信じられないとか、感情いっぱいの日記もありました。数ヵ月後、その「自由のための」戦争が始まった日、自分が気持ち悪くて、学校行って涙を流すのも我慢してたということも書いてました。そして色つけた「テロ知らせシステム」がどんなに馬鹿げたことだと言ってましたが、10年経ってみれば、結局役に立たなかったのもわかります。

ということで、これは私の高校生時代でした。ドラマもいいぱい、楽しいこともいっぱい、政治も少しありました。そして次はーー大学!次回お楽しみに!







0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿