We had a low-key BBQ at Magic Island Beach Park, under the trees and on the grass where she walked around barefoot, ate all kinds of delicious food, played with her friends, and after we had done all the grilling that could be done before it was time for Yasushi to clean up and get ready to go to work, we sang "Happy Birthday" and ate cake.
I made her cake myself using the following recipe:
- 1 cup butter, cubed 1/2cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 6 c whole wheat cake flour
- 2 cups sugar 2 c honey
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 c greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large saucepan, bring butter and water just to a boil. Immediately remove from the heat; stir in the flour, sugar, eggs, sour cream, applesauce, salt, baking powder, extract and baking soda until smooth.
- Pour into a 16-in. x 12-in. x 2-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.