2012年5月5日土曜日

Looking Back 振り返ってみた (Part 5, UH Graduation and Marriage 大学卒業と結婚)

When I came back to Hawaii in August 2006, there were many things to do. First, I had to find a place to live. Next, I had to ensure I would be able to get all the credits I needed to graduate. And also, I had to start working again.

I decided to rent a place near campus with 3 other people, 2 of them being Japanese majors and friends of mine. It sounded like a really good idea, until one of them, an upperclassman 2 classes away from graduation, did a complete 180 from how I knew him. Upon moving in, he got some credit cards and spent thousands of dollars buying new appliances and furniture. He worked 20 hours a week or so at Starbucks and made more than enough to cover his share of the rent, but would buy video games or get a haircut and not have enough, almost every month. His low wage Starbucks job became his main focus in life and he started to study coffee in his spare time so he could have a black apron (which would not give him a pay raise). He neglected to study for or even go to the 2 classes he was taking, and failed them both--three times. Whenever he cooked or ate, the resulting mess would sit there for days, even weeks, and we had roaches and even a mouse. When I complained, the other Japanese major would side with me, but our other roommate started to become threatening and hostile. After the year lease was up, we all went our separate ways--leaving him to wallow in the mess he chose to make by not listening to any of us, with thousands of dollars in unpaid bills, wasted tuition he owed, rent he owed, cleaning costs, with his black apron and no college degree and little chance of getting one with such a big blemish on his transcript.

As for my plans for graduation, they were going smoothly. I found out that my year in Japan had counted for 2 years of language classes instead of 1, so I only had to take some advanced classes in my major in addition to a few more Arts and Sciences courses. I also took some classes that I was interested in such as Okinawan sanshin, koto, Tahitian Dance, and Korean, up to Intermediate level. Each semester I kept a steady course load of about 16 credits, or 5-6 classes, and enjoyed the last of my university career to the fullest.

I started working at Yokozuna again, and took up a better-paying, skill-building second job tutoring children at a juku near the University. I also completed a 100 hour internship at the Sheraton Waikiki in conjunction with a keigo lecture at the University. As it was my senior year, I took a job doing campus tours in the mornings before class, showing prospective students around. I also did tours for Japanese students going around popular tourist spots in Waikiki and Honolulu on some days. This job was fun because I could go to the zoo, aquarium, arcade, etc. I climbed Diamond Head 3 times! I enjoyed all of my different jobs, but it was very tiring and busy working an average 30 hours per week in addition to 30-40 hours of class and study time per week. Eating and sleeping became things I did if I had time. I was so busy! I had one day off that I can remember, it was October 16th, 2006. A magnitude 4 earthquake happened on Oahu and knocked out power for most of the island until nighttime.

But, I enjoyed everything, and somehow I would still find time to do some really interesting things, like go to see Morning Musume's Hawaii concert from outside the Waikiki shell, and get my letter  read by Fujimoto Miki on her radio show , I went to a fancy banquet for the Japanese-American Society and met the governor of Hawaii, was a guest MC for a Japanese speech contest, and met Murakami Haruki when he came to my Japanese literature class as well.

And of course, when winter and summer holiday came, I bought a plane ticket to Japan. Seeing Yasushi was great, but I got worried when I saw how he had been living. He had changed jobs and his new boss was cruel. It extended to me as well, on the day when I was going back to Hawaii after winter holiday, they had promised him he would get off work early that day to take me to the airport, but as I was waiting for him in the train station he called and said they just told him he couldn't go to see me. After I left, Yasushi's health started to deteriorate as well. He was having stomach pains and passing blood. He kept working until one day he could hardly stand from the pain, and asked to go to the doctor, but his boss refused to let him go, and that night Yasushi packed his bags and went far away from that place. When he finally saw a doctor, he was told that if he had continued to work in this condition he might have needed to have his stomach removed. So, by summertime Yasushi was living in a small room working at an izakaya, and I stayed over the summer and did some teaching for fun and experience.
When I went back to Hawaii in Fall of 2007, I rented a small room outside of Chinatown and resumed my schedule as usual. One day I was getting ready for work and suddenly my left abdomen started to hurt very severely. I asked my boss what I should do, and she advised me to go to a hospital. I took a taxi and went to the emergency room, after many tests including a CT scan, they found an 11cm cyst on my left ovary that had somehow gone undetected until now. I enrolled in Hawaii state insurance and had a minor surgery to remove it on a Friday and was back at school on Monday.

Then, finally in December I graduated University of Hawaii with a BA in Japanese. My parents and Yasushi came to attend the ceremony, and Yasushi stayed through Christmas and New Year's, this time in a small house we were renting temporarily in Manoa Valley. In January we went to Pennsylvania to prepare for our wedding.

We had our honeymoon before the wedding, staying in my parent's vacation condo in the Caribbean, and on our 3rd anniversary we got married. I had designed my own wedding dress, buying it cheap, getting a corset, and modifying it. My mother had planned the wedding, and of course had to make it the event of her year, inviting all of her friends and acquaintances, some people she hardly knew and I never met, just to "fill tables". The best man and matron of honor were her friends, the ring bearers were a student of hers and her hairdresser's daughter, etc. I was satisfied because I had what was important: My husband, family, and friends from high school, and after the ceremony and performances by her friends, I could dance with my friends to the music I picked.

After the wedding we got our marriage license, and went to New York to visit the Japanese embassy before going back to Japan. It was March, and in Japan the cherry blossoms were just preparing to bloom...


2006年8月にハワイに戻ったとき、しなきゃいけないことがいっぱいありました。まずは、住むところを探さなきゃ行けなかったです。そして、卒業で必要な授業を計画立てて取らなきゃ行けなかったです。そして、また働かなきゃいけなかったです。

3人の知り合いと家を借りることに決めました。3人のうち2人は同じ日本語学部で、一人は私の先輩であともう一息で卒業するというところでした。しかし、部屋を入った瞬間その真面目できれい好きの人から180度変わったんです。クレジットカードを使って何千ドル分の新しい家具、電化製品、料理道具など買いました。アルバイトしてましたが、スターバックスの週20時間位で、自分の分の家賃を払うことには十分が、毎月必ず全部無駄遣いをして家賃払えなかったんです。授業も2つしか入ってないのに、さぼってばかりで3回も落ちました。でも日本語を勉強してない分、なぜかスターバックスのコーヒーマスターをめざしてコーヒーの勉強をし始めました。大学の資格持てば1時間15ドルのアルバイトが絶対あるのに、コーヒーマスター持っても時給は9ドル位で普通の従業員から変わらないんです。そして彼は料理したり食べたりする時は必ずお掃除しないで、お皿や鍋もそのまま何日か何週間放置して、家にゴキブリやネズミも入りました。私が文句言ったらその人の友達が攻撃的にもなってたんです。1年の契約が終わったら、3人で別々の所に行って、その人を一人にして自分でぐちゃぐちゃにしたのを自分でどうかしろって行きました。その人は皆のアドバイス聞かなかったせいで、結局カードや無駄にした授業料や家を汚くした分何千ドルの借金と、職歴に価値がないスターバックスのエプロンと、3回の失敗で大学の資格を持つことが不可能な悲しい結末になりました。

自分の卒業の計画はうまく行ってました。日本で留学した一年分の日本語学習は実は2年分となってて、思ったより卒業するには必要な授業少なかったです。日本語の上級読書などを取って、義務科目も終わらせて、そして自分の好きな韓国語、翻訳、通訳、沖縄三線、琴、とタヒチダンスの様々な授業を取って最後まで充実しました。

横綱でまたバイトをすることになったが、他のアルバイトもちょこちょこ取って生活してました。大学の近くの学習塾で高自給の先生のバイトし始めました。大学の敬語の講座と一緒にシェラトンワイキキで100時間のインターンもしました。そしてもうすぐ卒業するからと思って、これから大学に入る高校生などにキャンパスのツアーや説明をするアルバイトもしていました。時間があるときはたまに日本人に観光ツアーもやって、色んな所に行けました。3回もダイアモンドヘッド上りました!色んなアルバイトをしてて楽しかったけど、大変で疲れてることも多かったです。授業の時間と勉強の時間だけで週30-40時間だったのに、バイトも週30時間位ありました。睡眠も食事も時間があれば済ませることになってました。本当に忙しかったんです。休日は一日だけ覚えてます。10月16日に、オアフ島で4マグニチュード位の地震があって、そのせいで一日停電になってたんです。

でも、全部たのしかったです。そして忙しくてもいい経験もいっぱいできました。ワイキキシェルの外からモーニング娘のコンサート見たり、藤本美貴のラジオ番組で手紙読んでもらったり、豪華なディナーに行ってハワイの知事に会ったり、日本語スピーチコンクールのMCやったり、そして日本文学の授業で村上春樹先生にも会いました。

そして、冬休みや夏休みの時はもちろん日本に行きました。やすしに逢えてよかったが、彼の生活が心配になりました。転職して、新しい店のでボスが従業員に嫌がらせをしてました。そして私もそのせいでひどい目に遭いました。冬休みが終わってハワイに戻る時、やすしが仕事半日休むことの約束をして、そして空港まで送ってもらうつもりだったが、最後ギリギリに急に行かせてもらえなかった。そしてハワイに帰ってからやすしの体の状態も悪化しました。お腹が痛くなって、血が出てた時もありました。それでも我慢して仕事続けたが、立てない位ひどくなったら病院に行きたいと言ったら仕事から「ダメ、働きなさい」と言われたらしい。そしたらやすしが荷物を積んで飛び出たんです。やっと病院に行ったら先生に「これ以上我慢して働き続ければ胃を取らなきゃいけない可能性高い」と言われました。夏休みに行った時やすしは今度一人暮らしして、アルバイトしていました。私もこの機会に日本で英語教えてみたりして休みを充実しました。

2007秋にハワイに戻った時チャイナタウンの近くの小さい部屋を借りて元通りのスケジュールに戻りました。しかし、ある日アルバイトの準備してた時お腹の左側が急に激しく痛くなったんです。アルバイトの所のボスに電話して説明したら病院に行きなさいと言われて、タクシーに乗って緊急行きました。痛み止めと検査のあと、今まで気づかれなかったの不思議な位11cmの脳腫が左の卵巣に見つかりました。ハワイ州の保険に入って、手術で取りました。金曜日に手術して、また月曜日に授業に戻りました。

そして、12月が来て、私はとうとうハワイ大学、日本語学部を卒業しました。卒業式に両親とやすしは出席しました。やすしはそれからクリスマスお正月をハワイで一緒にマノアの家を借りて過ごし、一月にペンシルバニアに行って結婚式の準備をしました。

私たちは結婚式の前に両親のカリブの別荘で新婚旅行しました。そして逢って3年の記念日に結婚しました。私は自分のウェディングドレスのデザインを考えて安く買って作ったがお母さんが結婚式を計画したので、凄く豪華で、自分のためにやってるみたいに私の家族、友人以外に80人に達するために自分の友達や知り合い30-40人位誘いました。私達の結婚式だったが、会った事もない人が出席してて、結婚式の色んな役割はお母さんの友人や知り合いや知り合いの子供など、お母さんの友人によるパフォーマンスなどもあって、ちょっと訳わからないところもありました。でもやすしと家族と私の友人がいて、最後に自分の好きな音楽を流してダンスもしてたので自分で満足してました。

それから日本へ旅立つ前にニューヨークに行って日本大使館に行きました。3月になって、日本ではもう桜が咲く頃に近づいてました・・・


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿