2017年9月23日土曜日

Various musings - Home ownership and Health


May- Mother's Day....bittersweet since I have to see/hear about how great other people's moms are, but on the other hand I got to spend a day with my kids eating pizza and walking around a botanical garden. 

June- Chinami's Preschool Graduation - an important milestone! We had a small ceremony and party at the school, and even though her favorite Aunty got her flowers and  a lei, I made sure she had a couple leis from us because local tradition is to just drape em all on until the grad can't see anymore. I never got any leis at my UH graduation so I'm going to make up for it with them! 

July- Chinami's 5th Birthday and Kairu's preschool debut. We had our traditional BBQ in the courtyard with Yasushi's fresh sashimi boat, and I did a Moana themed cake, swimsuit for Chinami, favors, etc. Kairu is a lot more shy and withdrawn than Chinami was at his age but he tries super hard not to cry when I drop him off. Tries is the key word. After the initial shock he does enjoy all the toys and songs, I'm told. 

August- the 3rd anniversary of purchasing our home. For me, 3 years is kind of a long time to stay in one place. I've been moving from place to place ever since I was a small child. The longest stay I had in white picket fence bumfuck PA wasn't exactly the most amazing time of my life, and the years after that I was moving in and out of places as much as 3x/year. So recently I've become aware of the fact that if I don't clean things, they may never get cleaned. There is no cleaning service, no move in, move out, nothing like that anymore. So it's my responsibility to periodically deep clean random things I've never cleaned before. Behind the stove, the door jamb leading out to the balcony, taking off the toilet seat and reattaching, many places I've never cleaned in my life are getting looked at. And while I was raised in a household where I was violently beaten for not tidying my shoes properly, surprisingly enough I was never really taught practical, useful information about cleaning, laundry, etc. so recently I have been learning a lot of new things at home. 

September- my 31st birthday. We went to a tattoo shop to get a consult for my long-awaited second tattoo! My first tattoo(s) were done at age 18 and 21, 3 flowers on my left pelvis, and they are all stretched out and spread out so time for some new and exciting ink to celebrate....well, to celebrate me being myself finally! I had a few designs I was thinking of but the one I felt closest to at this stage in my life was a pinwheel. 5 sides/colors to represent the 5 elements, a common theme in nature based religions and some pop culture as well. The pinwheel itself is derived from the pinwheels used to promote awareness against child abuse. Altogether it's a symbol of my true spirituality and love towards my children. A tiny little detail is a semicolon on the stick holding the pinwheel up, representing my struggle with mental illness and my past suicide attempts. The sentence is definitely not over yet! 
On that note, Yasushi took the initiative to get the whole family life insurance policies. It was a race to get all the paperwork done before my birthday to lock in 30 year old rates. And as I did the physical exams I was so proud and grateful that we are both in great health, very likely because we eat a variety of whole foods and stay active. Especially now that we have kids, it's so important for us to live out our full potential and be there for them as long as we possibly can, and also to set them up with good diet and exercise habits. 

The past few months have been good, and for some reason I feel like October, November are going to be even better. We are getting rid of more toxins and pollution from our home and hopefully welcoming more health, positivity, and motivation to be our best selves. 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿