2012年11月20日火曜日

Thanksgiving - Reconnecting with family

Thanksgiving is coming up soon, and I have a lot to be thankful for this year.
I had a healthy pregnancy and gave birth naturally to my beautiful daughter Chinami. 
I was able to come back to Hawaii and reconnect with a lot of friends and make many new ones as well. 
And most of all, I feel thankful that I have a loving family who cares about me. 
...
No, not them. 
...
When I was with my "parents" for last Thanksgiving, I also saw the other part of my family, whom I hadn't seen in over 10 years. It was the part of the family that wasn't related to my "mother"; my paternal grandparents, my aunt, uncle, and three cousins.
Since we lived abroad when I was a child I almost never got to see them, and when we moved back to America I saw them from time to time, as they lived in the same small town as we did.

My grandmother would take me to high school football games, along with my aunt and cousin who was just a baby then. I was in middle school at the time and would be going to that high school in the following years, and it was the same high school my "father" and his siblings went to, and the same school my oldest cousin is going to now. She enjoyed sharing this legacy and history with me. She would also take me to the museum, carnivals, the mall, church (not to force me, but because I enjoyed playing with the other children and singing in Sunday School) and I would stay over her house sometimes. 

My grandfather was one of the original computer nerds, and taught me a lot about computers (in those days, we still used 5-inch floppy disks and Windows 3.1, and MS-DOS) He had also served in the military and was stationed in Japan, and gave me some of his old mementos when I started to become interested in Japanese culture.

Years later, my aunt found me on Facebook and I saw that I now had 2 more cousins, and my oldest cousin was starting high school. My aunt and uncle would message me, and I was unsure how to handle it after all those years. 

The reason I was unsure was because of all the things my "mother" would tell me about them. She accused them of using her for her money, she ridiculed them and called them horrible, degrading names in front of me (things I will not write here as I do not want to hurt their feelings,) and basically convinced me that they were some kind of malignant, abnormal people. When I told them I wanted to go visit my family, I was warned not to. I'm glad I followed my heart, and did the right thing.

After my "parents" left to spend Christmas and New Year's in the Caribbean and left us to house-sit (despite the fact that it was the first holidays we could spend together in over five years) Yasushi and I went over to have lunch with my family. I made some cupcakes and brought them over, and they had cold-cut trays and lots of yummy desserts, and spent the day asking us questions, talking with us, and making us feel welcome. We played games with my cousins, I helped my aunt with her computer, and we all had a great time. My husband commented that they seemed like a normal, Christian family, and were very kind-hearted, and I agreed.

Now that I have looked into my past, I can now fully appreciate how normal they are. No one launched into loud, rambling stories and demanded that you listen to them no matter how long they kept talking, no one lectured us on how our choices, hobbies, and lifestyle were wrong and tried to force us into something else, no one called us degrading names, and they would listen to us. The three children seemed comfortable and happy, no one was screamed at, insulted, or invalidated.

I can remember now that my grandparents were the only ones who validated my feelings when I was in middle school. They always listened to me, remembered things about me, showed me they cared about who I was, and never tried to force me to do something I didn't want to do, or be someone I wasn't. That was the thing I needed most at that fragile point in my development, and something I was not getting at home.

And even now, the way they treat me and Yasushi really shows how much they care. When they found out I was pregnant, they asked me how I was, and that they wanted to send me something for the baby. When I told them I didn't need much, and would appreciate if they would just send me any used items or hand-me-downs, they sent me precious family heirlooms that were used by my grandparents, their children's baby blankets, hand-sewn items that were passed down in the family, and a used breast pump, because they knew I was breastfeeding. Most importantly, there was no Facebook announcement about how THEY were becoming great-grandparents/aunts/uncles, no posts with pictures of the things they bought for THEIR grand-baby, there was no waving money around in a big fanfare that was still centered around themselves. It was just pure sentiments and love.

I am very glad I reconnected with all of them, and my husband was able to meet them before we moved to Hawaii. But also, I am very sad at all the years lost between us, and how far apart we are now. But as long as they are in Pennsylvania, I can say that I may think of going back to see my family some day.


もうすぐ感謝祭です。今年は感謝するべきがいっぱいあります。
無事に、自然に妊娠、出産して、今素敵な娘のちなみに恵まれています。
ハワイに戻ることができて、友達に会ったり、新しい友達に出会ったりすることもできました。
そして何よりも、素敵な家族に愛されてることに感謝しています。
。。。
違う。彼奴じゃないですよ。
。。。
去年の感謝祭にリョウシンのところでサンクスギビングしてた時、何年ぶりにもう一つの家族に会う事ができました。「母」系ではない家族。父系の祖父母、おじさん、おばさん、といとこ3人です。

小さい時私は海外に住んでたためあまり会えなくて、アメリカに戻ってからは同じ町に住んでたので時々会いました。

お祖母さんはおばさんと赤ちゃん(私のいとこ)と私を高校のアメフト試合に連れて行ってくれました。その頃私はまだ中学生だったけど、高校に行った時はその学校だったし、私のオトウさんも兄弟も行ったし、そして今はいとこもそこに行っています。お祖母さんはこの歴史を私と一緒に楽しむのが楽しかったでしょう。アメフトの他に、博物館、祭り、商店街、教会(強制ではなくて、私は好きで一緒に行っていました)など色んな所に連れて行ってくれました。そしてお祖母さん家でお泊まりすることもありました。

お祖父さんは昔からのパソコンオタクで、パソコンのことを私にいっぱい教えてくれました。(その頃はまだ5インチのフロッピーやウィンドウズ3.1やMS-DOSなどのじだいでした。)そして私は日本に興味を持ち始めたら軍隊で日本にいた時からのお宝ものなどいっぱいくれました。

何年後、おばさんはフェスブックで私とつながりました。そして、私のいとこが2人も増えて、赤ちゃんだったいとこが高校1年生だとわかってビックリしました。おばさんとおじさんは私にメッセージもしてくれましたけど、10年以上連絡しなかった私が複雑な気持ちでした。

その複雑な気持ちの訳はオカアさんに言われた事です。お金を狙ってるとか、色んな酷い話を私にしてました。オカアさんが言ったことによると、その家族は悪い、優しさがない人たちでした。私が久しぶりに会ってみたいと言い出したら、やめた方がいいと言われました。私は自分の心を信じて、会ったのが正解でした。

リョウシンが5年以上ぶりに一緒にいられるクリスマス・お正月にかかわらず二人で私と旦那をおいてカリブの別荘に遊びに行ってから、私達は予定を会わせて、家族の家に行ってみました。私はお菓子を作って持って行って、家族は皆集まってサンドウィッチのパーティートレーや手作りお菓子いっぱいテーブルに並べて、何時間私とやすしにお話して、私たちの話を親切に聞いてくれて、自分の家と心を私達に開いてくれました。いとこと一緒にゲームしたり、おばさんのパソコンの問題を直してみたり、家族らしく、素敵な時間を過ごしました。旦那はクリスチャンでも、リョウシンと違って、普通の心の優しい家族だと言って、私もそう思ってました。

そして今自分の家族の関係を振り返ってみてからはその「普通な家族」というの本当に分かってきた気がします。ずっとでっかい声をだして自分中心の話ばかり聞かせることはなくて、自分の選んだ道や趣味が間違ってるように言われることもなくて、酷い傷つくような言葉を言われることもなかったです。私たちが話してた時はちゃんと聞いてくれました。子供もバカにされたり、脅されたりすることもなく、普通に幸せそうにしてました。

今思い出してみると、中学生の頃に私の気持ちを解ろうとするのはお祖父さんとお祖母さんだけでした。いつも聞いてくれて、私の趣味や性格について色んなことを覚えていたり、自分の趣味などを私に無理矢理押し付ける事もなかったです。これが私は家でしてもらえなかった、この大変な成長期に一番必要なことだったんでしょう。

そして今でも対応から家族の愛が感じられます。私が妊娠を教えたら、私の具合を聞いて、赤ちゃんのために何をプレゼントすればいいかと訪ねてくれました。そして私はそんな赤ちゃん用品は必要ない、もし何か送るのであれば中古なものでいいと言ったら、祖父母も皆が自分が赤ちゃんの時に使ってた大事な宝物いっぱい送ってくれました。手作りのベビーブランケットなどまでありました。そして私が完全母乳だと覚えててくれて、友達の中古の搾乳機もくれました。それよりも、フェスブックで自分がお祖父さん、お祖母さんになるとか、自分のひ孫のためにどんな素敵な物を買ってると写真を載せたりすることなく、自分中心でお金を振る舞うこともなく、ただの家族愛をみせてくれただけです。

皆にまた会えて、ハワイに行く前にやすしも会えてよかったです。しかし一緒にいられなかった何年間と、今遠く離れてることが悲しいです。でもいつかペンシルバニアに家族に会いに行くとまだいえます。








0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿